Monday, August 8, 2011

Continuing Low Carb Adventures

It's been two weeks tomorrow since I started the low-carb diet.  Last week I wasn't as strict as I was the first week.  I let a few carbs in, especially some mashed potatoes (can't have Dutch oven chicken without them), and on Tuesday I visited my mom.  When mom puts a homemade meat pie in front of you, you have to eat it.  Then on Friday we went out to dinner.  I ordered fajitas.  I used two of the flour tortillas, but had no rice, so the meal was meat, onions, green peppers, guacamole, salsa and sour cream, plus the two tortillas.  On Sunday we had a big family dinner and I had my first slice of bread in nearly two weeks.  Tomorrow morning I'm planning on steel cut oatmeal for breakfast.  After 14 days I'm sick of eggs.

The cravings for refined carbs are almost gone.  My weight has dropped a little, maybe four lbs., hardly the 10-15 touted by the South Beach diet in the first two weeks.  My energy is pretty good; I'm not feeling the blood sugar drop around 10:30 in the morning and 4:00 in the afternoon like I did.  I'm still hungry, but it isn't killing me.  Once again, though, the real test is coming on August 17 when I have blood drawn for my annual physical and we see what cholesterol, triglycerides, fat and the other blood chemistry looks like.

No comments: