Sunday, July 31, 2011

Weekend Update

Friday and Saturday were new challenges on my low-carb diet.  Friday I went to Burley to watch Jeff race in the Spudman triathlon.  He did well, finishing 9th in his age group.  He completed the Olympic distance, a total of 32 miles, in about the same time I finished the Salem sprint triathlon, which is roughly half as far.

Anyway, it was a challenge food-wise because again I was eating out.  For dinner Friday we went to a place and I had the salad bar -- not too difficult.  Breakfast on Saturday was whatever we brought because we camped in the park next to the Snake River.  I brought some granola bars, which was cheating because granola is a grain and not allowed on this diet in the first two weeks.  But it was that or starve.  I also had some vegetable chips to munch on.  They are almost as good as potato chips, but without the salt and potatoes.  These are things like beets, sliced squash, green beans and carrots that have been dried and toasted.  As a treat for dinner I grilled a couple of filet mignon with corn (also a little bit of a cheat, since corn isn't allowed), cucumbers and onions and tomatoes.  Lunch today was a green salad with turkey and cheese.  Tonight we're having Dutch oven chicken, mashed potatoes (which I won't eat), squash and salad.

All in all, things are not going too badly at this point.  I've lost 3 lbs since Tuesday but the more important factor is what this is doing to my blood chemistry, which I won't know until my physical on August 17.  The point of this diet is primarily to lower total cholesterol, triglycerides and blood sugar.  Weight loss is secondary but the only way of keep score is on the scales for now.

No comments: